The Gottman Relationship Checkup is a confidential, efficient way to obtain a thorough assessment of your relationship. It includes both your relationship strengths and areas that require some work.
When a couple comes to see me I ask them to take part in a 480 question (yes 480!) online assessment. This occurs after the first appointment and before individual interviews. Each partner completes the assessment separately. Neither partner can access the other partner’s information. You are encouraged not to share your responses to maximise the accuracy of the assessment. When both partners have pushed “send” on their completed survey, it wings its way to the Gottman Institute at the University of Washington in Seattle. The answers form the raw data for a Gottman Relationship Checkup. It is then sent to me, the therapist, in the form of a detailed report. This assists us in setting the goals for the work we do in the sessions.
So in summary:
- You are individually sent invitations to do the Gottman Couple Relationship Checkup.
- You each accept the invitation and create individual, separate profiles.
- Complete the questionnaire using any device, including your mobile. If you get questionnaire fatigue, you can save it and return to it as many times as you like!
- I then receive a detailed report on your relationship. This includes any individual areas of concern that may exist for you both.
Your checkup gives me, your therapist, confidential information about your:
- Friendship and intimacy.
- How well you know each other.
- Management of emotions and conflict.
- Sharing of values and goals.
- Meaning to your life.
I provide feedback honestly, sensitively and with encouragement. After all, the goal of Couples Therapy is to help you achieve better relationship harmony.