The hypnotic scripts that Briony uses for people who wish to give up smoking are a combination of the world’s best practice and evidence-based approaches for dependence/addictive behaviours.
Briony has been an Honorary Lecturer in Addiction Studies at Flinders University when employed as a Senior Education Officer at the National Centre for Education and Training on Addictions so this is one of her specialty areas.
She uses a combination of:
- cognitive behavioural therapy (including looking at triggers)
- motivational interviewing
- relapse prevention strategies
Hypnosis is a useful way to deliver some of the above, the research supports success rates for using hypnosis or hypnotherapy/or hypnosis to give up cigarette smoking.
While some people find one session sufficient, others require more. The factors that determine success include:
- how long you have smoked;
- how motivated you are to give up;
- the level of dependence at the time of hypnosis; and
- the supportive or protective factors, such as a non-smoking encouraging partner or group of friends/colleagues with low levels of smoking behaviour.